It's that time of year to reflect on the "Best" books, movies, etc. and in this case "Best Teaching & Learning Articles of 2016" as ranked by Faculty Focus, an excellent resource for the teaching professor. Each article is approximately 700 words.
The ranking is based on a combination of factors, including e-newsletter open and click rates, social shares, reader comments, web traffic, reprint requests, and other reader engagement metrics.
11. Why Are We So Slow to Change the Way We Teach?
10. Backward Design, Forward Progress
9. The Ugly Consequences of Complaining about ‘Students
8. Three Focusing Activities to Engage Students in the First Five Minutes of Class
7. Student Engagement Strategies for the Online Learning Environment
6. A Memo to Students about Studying for Finals
5. Six Things Faculty Can Do to Promote Student Engagement
4. A Practical Approach for Increasing Students’ In-Class Questions
3. Supporting Transgender Students in the Classroom
2. Ready to Flip: Three Ways to Hold Students Accountable for Pre-Class Work
1. A Memo to My Students Re: College and the Real World